Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday - a day of rest

Well, I worked this weekend and Bill enjoyed a last weekend with Amanda and Ron. Those two worked their little hearts out. Ron painted a bedroom. Our blue bedrooms that our children picked many years ago are now a more neutral taupe. I hope I spelled that right. Then, the kids went out and bought us a webcam -we are on Skype. So if you are on Skype tell us your "handle" or name on sykype and then we can talk to you. The web cam is on about $25.00 and skype is free. I can't figure out why we haven't all hooked up so that we can look at each other while we talk to each other. Bill says that the techie kids are dragging us along.

Bill is getting more and more tired. He is definitely tired of staying in bed so much, but that is what he does. We need to remember to ask the doctor when he will start to get some energy back after radiation. The biggest problem is that the heart burn is really causing problems for eating. Fortunately we aren't blazing trails here and the doctors and pharmacists have helped people before us with this. A pharmacist has developed a concoction called "Magic Mouthwash." Bill swallows 2 tablespoons and it coats his esophagus and stomach and allows him to eat pain free for about 15 minutes. We get his plate ready to go and then he swallows his magic and eats his meal. He can use it 4 times a day so he gets 3 meals and a snack. He tried to eat a cookie tonight, but without this stuff eating just isn't fun. He is drinking a nutrition drink like Ensure or Boost every afternoon and fortunately they don't cause heart burn so at least he gets something.

Tonight we ate Amanda and Ron's wedding cake top. It has been in our freezer for a year. Yum yum. Actually it was pretty good, carrot cake. We took pictures and our dog hoped that Ron and Amanda would drop cake on the floor while they fed each other. It is hard to believe that it has been a year since the wedding. That was a truly lovely day.

Bill did attend church today and loves being with his church family. Redeemer really pulls together to proclaim God's love for all of us. This weekend I think that Jesus carried us on His shoulders. I'm glad that he is so strong and takes such good care of us. I'll leave you with this verse: It is a good thought: "We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 Keep praying. We certainly are. Love, Sue

3 comments:

  1. We are thinking of you guys lots and lots, and pray each night for Bill. Hope his throat heals quickly. Love you lots, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill and Sue,
    I just got on your website for the first time and started reading backwards (that's what lefties do) and got to this Sunday post where Sue talks about eating the top of Amanda and Ron's wedding cake. I have to say that brought tears to my eyes. That was such a lovely and loving day. Glad to hear it was still edible and that the dog wanted some too!
    Take care and know that we love you and are praying for you.
    Pat & Karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dear Bill and Dearest Sue;

    Karen here, from the king county jail.
    I am touched by the details of your journey as you share the experience of your time together, side by side.

    I send my support and strength to you Sue, as you care give and nurture Bill, as you watch over and attend to his daily needs.

    I offer acceptance of Bill as he surrenders to his unfolding process and the unconditional love of God who remains within him.

    Sincerely today,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here.