Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Letter to the men dad ministered to

Hello friends
Recently dad dictated a letter to me for the men he ministered to in jail. He wanted to let them know what was going on in his life in his own words. We wanted to share with all of you what he shared with them as he wrote this himself.

Dear

I know it has been an unusually long time since you have heard from me. I have received a letter from you, thank you. My letter to you today is the result of the greatest shock in my life and it has meant I have not been able to write to you. On July 1 I was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. It has meant that my faith has been greatly tested and yet I have proved faithful, thanks to the work of the holy spirit in me and the prayers of many. I spent numerous days at Swedish hospital diagnosing and coming up with a treatment plan for my lung cancer. I am now in treatment at Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle. I receive chemo therapy everyday by mouth and I go to the radiology center every day for treatments, but God has been the strength of my life and has given me the courage and strength to endure this trial. I know you have faced many trials in your life and I share application to God for being the captain of my ship. Due to the cancer I have gone on full disability from my church as pastor and as chaplain. I am experiencing the promise of God for a Sabbath rest for believers in Christ. I have had to put down my earthly work and allow God and him alone to be fully at work in me. I seek your prayers now because God loves you and God loves me and he hears your prayers for Jesus sake. I would ask you to pray on a couple scriptures that have been meaningful and inspirational for me for these last few weeks.

Ephesians 1:19-20
19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power 20 which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,

Philippians 3:12
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Philippians 3:10
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

I want to thank you for the friendship we have had by mail and I ask Gods blessing upon you. How my life will proceed from here is a mystery and in Gods hands so I do not know if I will be able to write to you again. I intrust you in Gods care and I trust his holy angels to watch over you and I know he will send other servants to guide you on your journey.

Thank you and God bless you,
Chaplain Bill

2 comments:

  1. Bill- what a powerful and loving letter you wrote to the men you have ministered to so wonderfully. You are a gift to so many.

    So happy that you had some time in your special Sequim home.

    We will check in with you this week.

    Praying for you. Tamae

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I appreciated reading this letter, dear brother. Written from a big pastoral heart housed in a wonderful, yet ever humble, man of God. Thank you for your ministry and example. As I work on my 10 commandment message series this summer I've much enjoyed reading your sermons on the same. I miss the days of sitting in front of your pulpit. Continuing to pray for you daily, along with the flock here at Peace. So glad you got to Sequim!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here.