Tuesday, August 25, 2009

James 5:7: Be patient, then brothers, until the Lord's coming.

James 5: 11: God cares, cares right down to the last detail.

Today was a busy day and a day when Bill talked about God and his desire for Jesus to support him and to take him home. Today he said to me that he trusts that God will get him from point 1 to point 2. He also asks Jesus to have compassion and help with the pain. Today his back hurt a lot. Yesterday I had a long conversation with the Hospice nurse and she increased Bill's Oxycontin, the long term pain medication. She said that Bill will be a little sleepy while his body gets used to a higher dose, but she was concerned that we had to use so much Oxycodone, called a break through pain medication. Bill shouldn't have much break through pain. So I started the dose and Bill's pain is much better, but he is sleeping almost all of the time. We did have another night where we were up several hours, but he didn't run a fever. The nurse also had me start to give Bill Tylenol on a schedule instead of just when the temperature starts. I keep saying that the nurse did this and that, but I should say that she works within the parameters that the doctor has set for pain management. Hospice has been very helpful.

Bill also got oxygen today so that it is here when he needs it. Right now he doesn't need it, but Hospice doesn't want him to be without if he needs it in the middle of the night. I also met with the Hospice Social Worker - a nice lady. The health aide also came and gave Bill a bed bath. Now I know how to do this and can keep him cleaner. He just is too tired to get to the shower.

So today I yelled at the city of Mercer Island. We are having construction at our intersection and they want to get it done before school starts. It is supposed to make the street safer for the kids to get to school. The only problem is that the big machinery starts at 7:00 am. At first I thought that they were working long days to get finished, but yesterday I noticed that they are all done at 3:00 pm. So, today I called the city Manager and the Maintenance Department and asked that they work from 8-4, instead of 7-3. When you have been awake most of the night having big machinery go beep beep beep as it backs up and dump loads of gravel in front of your house at 7:00 isn't very fun. I doubt I accomplished anything, but I felt better trying to get an extra hour of sleep for Bill in the morning. I am woman, hear me roar when my husband's comfort is at stake. I did actually talk to our City Manager so I guess that I can't say that government doesn't respond.

Oh, I forgot to say that Bill started eating food yesterday and he no longer needs to use "Magic Mouthwash" to swallow. So, I guess his esophagus is healed from the radiation. He eats yogurt, soup, jello, custard, and that kind of stuff. He is enjoying apple juice and iced green tea. He eats very little, but at least he gets to enjoy some food instead of just liquids. I wish I could say that he is stronger, but he isn't. He doesn't even talk to me very much. He did tell me that I take good care of him. It is my privilege and joy to care for this most wonderful man who is struggling so hard to have even a little quality time every day.

I'll end with a Bible verse that I know is familiar to many of you. In our church we often end church with this blessing. It is from Numbers, the account of the Jews wandering in the desert for 38 years. This is blessing that God gave to Moses to give to the Israelites:

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make His face shine on you
and be gracious to you.

Bill and I can feel God in our bedroom. We can feel His face shining on us. We pray that God will continue to bless us with his Grace. Our love goes out to you. Sue

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Sister Sue,
    We love you much and we pray for you and Bill this evening. Your love continues to be a powerful testimony to us. May the Lord grant you peace beyond your understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you. May the journey be as smooth as possible. Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here.